Friday, April 23, 2010

Garage Sales

Well, we had a very good yard sale today (don't have a garage). Our neighbors were having a garage sale and I am thankful that we were able to take advantage of their signage. Joe and Jadyn were outside wheelin-n-dealin while I stayed mostly inside trying to organize stuff, do craigslist, cook, and run stuff out when needed.  Jadyn did a lot better than I thought she would when her stuff was sold. She cried a little bit, but Joe was able to turn it around and get her mind on other things. She's watching a movie on Netflix right now eating plain (cooked) spaghetti with her fingers. I'll be giving her computer to my sister so it'll be one of the last things to go - which is good since it will keep her occupied until we start our trip.

Our little apartment is pretty bare right now - I'm even sitting on a 5 gallon bucket as I type this.  :o) I am debating on whether or not I should use this bucket to make my laundry soap in. I have all the ingredients to do it, but we might not have enough room in the car for it. Of course I could still make it, take a jug with us, and give the rest away. That's probably what I'll do.

I keep going over in my mind possible ways to keep making kombucha and sauerkraut on the road. I use glass to do it so that might not work, not to mention all the liquid sloshing around. I could probably put the containers in a bucket to catch anything that spills. I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

Time to get off the computer and see what else I can part with....

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I wonder about food too..
    how to make Weston Price foods, ferments, sprouting. How to store food on the road. Making a window garden? I would need a chest freezer to store meat, I have a large family.
    Are you making the soap for using at a laundry mat? Or are you putting in a washer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to make a window garden! Hopefully we can incorporate that into our bus when we get it. The soap would be used at a laundry mat or where ever we end up doing laundry - couch surfing host, friends, relatives, buckets. :)

    We thought about getting a bow and arrows to hunt our own meat too, but we'll probably hold off on that since freezers are so expensive. We'll wait until a good deal comes along and just make sure we save room on the bus for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you guys eat now and how will you eat on the road? What about storage?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We stored everything we could in the car. If it didn't fit, it didn't come with us. I did put some boxes with pictures and home videos at my mom's house though. As far as eating, we are going to use the internet to try to find the kind of food we like to eat through weston price and rawmilk.com. Hopefully everything works out to be able to do that. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete