Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Car Toppers and Karma

Did you know used car toppers are not easy to come by? At least in this neck of the woods it's not.

We have been looking and looking for a car topper for our car with not much success. Then we see an ad on craigslist for a Cabela car top carrier and even though it's an hour and a half drive away - we go and get it. I clean it up and Joe tries to figure out how it goes on the car. He soon discovers that a roof rack is required to install the carrier. But, he straps it on the car anyway in the hopes that he can make it work. So he drives around the neighborhood with his hand sticking out the window holding a mirror so he can see how the carrier performs.

The bad news: It failed.
The good news: He found a replacement.



On his way back home he spots a hardtop car carrier in someone's yard. He initially drove past and then decided to go back and ask about it. He knocks on the door and asked the person who answered if it was for sale. Long story short - they sell it to us and it works great! But what's cool about this story is that the husband and wife didn't just sell it to us, they cleaned it up for us and helped install it on our car! I think Joe told me the husband didn't initially want to sell it (the wife did), but he believes in karma and since Joe just showed up at his front door out of the blue, he decided it was a good thing to sell it to us. Boy am I glad for that!  I know I whittled down my pile of stuff drastically, but I'm at a point where I don't want to separate from anything else so having the extra storage of the car carrier is a blessing to me. I feel peace at the moment. :o)

2 comments:

  1. They are very hard to come by!! I have one that I used to leave MN in 2003 when I moved to Cali. and I've used it for 2 more moves across country since then. I'll never get rid of it! Mine is a soft top. Thought about getting rid of it after my move to Cali. but am thankful I held on to it! Glad it all worked out for you guys! Have a safe trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy am I glad I have it! I need to take a picture of all the bugs splattered on the front of it. :o)

    ReplyDelete